Whether you’re applying for a passport, driver’s license or other government-issued ID, you’ll need to present your birth certificate.
In most cases, the best place to start is with the state or local government where your birth occurred. Different states and counties use different methods for issuing vital records, so be sure to check with the agency in charge of issuing birth certificates in your area before proceeding with a request.
In general, here’s what you’ll need:
- Proof of identity (usually a driver’s license or passport)
- Certified copies of documentation proving your relationship to the person whose name is on the birth certificate (if applicable)
- You’ll also need to fill out some paperwork. The form you need will vary by state, but in general it will ask for:
- Your name and address (for example, where you want the birth certificate sent)
- The name of the person whose birth certificate you’re requesting
- Any other identifying information (such as date of birth, place of birth and parents’ names)
How To Request A Birth Certificate?
If you’re requesting a copy of your own birth certificate, you’ll need to fill out an application form and send it with proof of identity (such as a driver’s license or passport) to the appropriate agency in charge of birth records.
If you’re requesting a birth certificate for someone else, you’ll need to fill out an application form and send it with proof of identity (such as a driver’s license or passport) to the appropriate agency in charge of birth records. You may also need to include additional information about the person whose record you’re requesting, such as their name at birth (if different from their current name), date of birth and place of birth. Some states require that requests be made by mail or fax, while others allow them to be made online or by phone.
How It Works in Texas?
You can order a Texas birth certificate in person, by mail or online. You will need to complete an application form and provide proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or passport. The application must be notarized if you are requesting the record on behalf of someone else (for example, if you’re an attorney and your client needs this documentation).
If you need a copy of your birth certificate, there are several ways you can obtain one. If the state in which you were born provides online access to its vital records database, ordering online may be the fastest and easiest option. In some states, though, this is not an option; in these cases, you will have to submit an application in person or by mail.